Total Pageviews

Friday 31 May 2013

Simple Mastectomy, Total Mastectomy and Modified Radical Mastectomy

What is Simple Mastectomy, Total Mastectomy and  Modified Radical Mastectomy for Carcinoma Breast?
Simple Mastectomy
Surgical removal of the whole of breast tissue superficial to  the pectoral fascia is called Simple Mastectomy. That means superficial fascia is left behind or not removed.
Total Mastectomy
Surgical removal of the whole of breast tissue including the pectoral fascia is called Total Mastectomy.
Modified Radical Mastectomy
Surgical removal of the whole of breast tissue including the pectoral fascia and level I, II and III axillary lymph nodes is called Modified Radical Mastectomy.
In other words Modified Radical Mastectomy is Total Mastectomy with Axillary clearance of lymph nodes.

Indication of Simple Mastectomy
Simple Mastectomy is done for Metastatic Breast Disease. It is also called Toilet Mastectomy. The purpose of doing Simple Mastectomy in Carcinoma Breast with metastasis is to prevent fungation and local ulceration of the tumor.
Indication of Total Mastectomy
Indication of Total Mastectomy is Paget Disease of the Breast with no palpable lump.
The treatment of Paget Disease of the Breast with a palpable lump is Modified Radical Mastectomy.
Indication of Modified Radical Mastectomy
Indication of Modified Radical Mastectomy is Early Breast Carcinoma and Paget Disease of the Breast with a palpable lump.
Different levels of Axillary Lymph Nodes
Axillary Lymph Nodes are broadly classified in to Level I, II and III nodes.
Level I axillary lymph nodes are the nodes located lateral to Pectoralis minor muscle.
Level II axillary lymph nodes are the nodes located beneath  or over the  Pectoralis minor muscle.
Level III axillary lymph nodes are the nodes located medial to Pectoralis minor muscle.
Types of Modified Radical Mastectomy
Patey’s Modified Radical Mastectomy :- Pectoralis  major muscle is  preserved and Pectoralis minor removed               
Scanlon’s Modified Radical Mastectomy :–   Pectoralis minor muscle is divided but not removed.             
Auchincloss’ Modified Radical Mastectomy :– Pectoralis minor is retraced but not divided.
Auchincloss’ Modified Radical Mastectomy is widely practiced nowadays.
Halstead’s Radical Mastectomy
In Halstead’s Radical Mastectomy both Pectoralis  major and Pectoralis minor muscles are removed along with the whole breast and the axillary lymph nodes.
What are the structures removed in Modified Radical Mastectomy (MRM)?
Whole of the breast tissue including the axilliary tail, along with the Tumor, Nipple Areola complex, Skin and the Level I, II and III Axillary lymph nodes are removed.

                                                 Images Courtesy: Madurai CME 2013


13 comments:

  1. Greetings! I am a surgery resident from the philippines, and I was wondering what book or sources did you get the types of MRM (Scanlon, patey, auchincloss) from? I could not find it in Schwartz' or my book fo Current surgical therapy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1097-0142(197503)35:3%3C710::AID-CNCR2820350325%3E3.0.CO;2-9/pdf

      cheers!

      Delete
    2. check your mastery of surgery book

      Delete
    3. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
      Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
      Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
      Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written . Thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was given in old bailey and love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in Sri RAM VHAT also mentioned these methods..

    ReplyDelete
  5. difference between mrm and mastectomy with axillary clearance...?
    u said both are equal...can u give the reference..?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is really useful for me, thanks for sharing such a nice information. Check my page and find more detail about the Endoscopy in Ludhiana.

    ReplyDelete